About Us

Reno County Historical Society and Reno County Museum

Historical Timeline

  • 1960    Reno County Historical Society (RCHS) met for the first time at the Hotel Leon.
  • 1961    RCHS was chartered. It had 110 members at that time.
  • 1963    Reno County Museum (RCM) began in the home of J. P. Harsha, 207 E. A. and remained there until 1967.
  • 1967    Owners of Harsha home decided to tear it down, necessitating a move.
  • 1968    RCM opened in Haven Township Hall.
  • 1970s   RCM runs out of room for artifact storage in Haven.
  • 1983    Haven building in disrepair; 10,000 artifacts were stored there, in barns, and various locations. A new facility was suggested by the state. Many of these 10,000 items were not salvageable.
  • 1985    The Kline Insurance Building (Great American Life Insurance Building) and the Rosemont Apartments were chosen as the new home of the Reno County Museum.
  • 1986    A connecting addition between the two buildings was added and the museum opened to the public. 
  • December 13, 1986. Over 1,000 people attended the opening ceremony.
  • 2011    RCHS celebrates its 50th anniversary (from charter date).
  •             RCM celebrates its 25th anniversary at its 100 S. Walnut location.

 

At this time the collection numbers over 36,000 items and grows every year. The museum holds public programs and events, offers a historical and interactive children’s playroom, and hosts exhibits in five different galleries.  The museum offers opportunities for public research, college student internships, and event rentals. There has never been a fee to visit the museum and fees for programming have always remained low.

HOURS

  • Tues. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Saturday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Closed Sun. & Mon.
  • Phone: 620-662-1184

ADMISSION

  • FREE ADMISSION
  • Donations Welcome

LOCATION

  • 100 S. Walnut Street
  • Avenue A & Walnut
  • Hutchinson, Kansas