History

Reno County Historical Society and Reno County Museum

Historical Timeline

  • 1960 
  • Reno County Historical Society (RCHS) met for the first time at the Hotel Leon.
  • 1961
  • RCHS was chartered. It had 110 members at that time.
  • 1963
  • Reno County Museum (RCM) began in the home of J. P. Harsha, 207 E. A. and remained there until 1967.
  • 1967
  • Owners of Harsha home decided to tear it down, necessitating a move.
  • 1968
  • RCM opened in Haven Township Hall.
  • 1970s
  • RCM runs out of room for artifact storage in Haven.
  • 1983
  • Haven building in disrepair; 10,000 artifacts were stored there, in barns, and various locations. A new facility was suggested by the state. Many of these 10,000 items were not salvageable.
  • 1985
  • The Kline Insurance Building (Great American Life Insurance Building) and the Rosemont Apartments were chosen as the new home of the Reno County Museum.
  • 1986
  • A connecting addition between the two buildings was added and the museum opened to the public. On December 13, 1986, over 1,000 people attended the opening ceremony.
  • 2011    
  • RCHS celebrates its 50th anniversary (from charter date). RCM celebrates its 25th anniversary at its 100 S. Walnut location.

 

At this time the collection numbers over 36,000 items and grows every year. The museum holds public programs and events, offers a historical and interactive children’s playroom, and hosts exhibits in five different galleries.  The museum offers opportunities for public research, college student internships, and event rentals. There has never been a fee to visit the museum exhibits and fees for programming and the Oodleplex have always remained low.

HOURS

  • Tues. - Fri. 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Saturday 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.
  • Closed Sun. & Mon.
  • Phone: 620-662-1184

ADMISSION

  • FREE ADMISSION
  • Donations Welcome

LOCATION

  • 100 S. Walnut Street
  • Avenue A & Walnut
  • Hutchinson, Kansas